A procedure is a text that tells you how to do, make or use something. It will give you a step-by-step guide so that you can achieve a specific goal. Procedures can be either written or oral (spoken). Written procedures often have images or diagrams to help the reader understand the procedure. Oral procedures, such as a television cooking program, usually show the steps of the procedure while the presenter is talking.
Examples of Procedure Text
Some examples of procedures might include:
- directions (to somewhere)
- game rules
- science experiments
- do-it-yourself instructions
Generic Structure of Procedure Text
- Goal: in the first part of the generic structure of procedure text contains information about the purpose of the creation or operator of something.
- Materials: the second part is materials. It consist of the materials used in making something.
- Steps: contains the steps or sequences that must be done so that the goals outlined in began Aim / Goal to be achieved. Steps or sequences must be order from the first to the last.
Characteristics of Procedure Texts:
- Use imperative words, such as: cut, don’t mix, etc.
- Use action verbs, for examples: turn, put, etc.
- Use connectives to order the steps, examples: then, while, etc.
- Use adverbials to explain for five minutes, 2 hours, etc.
- Use simple present tense.
- Use ordinal numbers, firstly, secondly, next, then, etc.
- Explain the the materials.
How to Make Chicken Soup
- 1 kg whole chicken
- 4 carrots, halved
- 4 stalks celery, halved
- 1 large onion, halved
- water to cover
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery and onion in a large soup pot and cover with cold water.
- Heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken meat falls from the bones (skim off foam every so often).
- Take everything out of the pan. Strain broth.
- Choose meat from the bones and cut the carrots, celery and onions. Season broth with salt, pepper and chicken broth to taste, if desired.
- Return the chicken, carrots, celery and onions to the pan, stir together chicken soup prepared in the present .